2014 was a pretty good year in books, I'm not going to lie. I felt like I read some really excellent books, some really overly hyped books (looking at you, The Goldfinch)... it was just a solid year.
Let's look back, shall we?
In 2010, I read 65 books and didn't document them particularly well on the blog.
In 2011 (the year I met Mr. RH and fell head over heels), I read only 39 books!
In 2012, I got engaged and read 78 books! Those were the days.
In 2013, I read 63 books. Not my best work!
And this past year, 2014, I read.... 71 books, out of my goal of 73 books. In my defense, I was positive I nailed 73 books with a few days to go, so I got lazy.
Come to find out, as I'm reviewing my list on Goodreads - I had TWO books listed twice. FAIL FAIL FAIL. Stinking goodreads... isn't there a way to make sure I don't do that?! Ugh, broke my damn heart.
I set my goal at 75 for 2015... I'm really not sure about that AT ALL. I think 73 was hard (and come to find it was only 71!!)... so who knows. In retrospect... I do not like to fail at anything... but oh well. I guess I'm going to have to carve out some reading time!
I'm using the following color-coding system for my recommendations:
Excellent Reads (Blue!)
Hated the Plot Reads (Red)
And the ones in black...meh. Clearly they didn't make an impact.
- A Vintage Affair by Isabel Wolff
- Out of Sight, Out of Time by Ally Carter
- Legend by Marie Lu
- The Fault in Our Stars by John Green
- Where’d You Go, Bernadette? by Maria Semple
- What Alice Forgot by Liane Moriarty
- Liesl & Po by Lauren Oliver
- Life As We Knew It by Susan Beth Pfeffer
- Partials by Dan Wells
- Perfect Timing by Jill Mansell
- The Selection by Kiera Cass
- Easy by Tammara Webber
- Deadlocked by Charlaine Harris
- Someday Someday Maybe by Lauren Graham
- The Edge of Never by J.A. Redmerski
- The Elite by Kiera Cass
- Attachments by Rainbow Rowell
- Someone Else’s Love Story by Joshilyn Jackson
- The Bride Wore Size 12 by Meg Cabot
- Prodigy by Marie Lu
- Champion by Marie Lu
- The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt
- Waiting for You by Shey Stahl
- The Wager by Rachel van Dyken
- The Boy Who Sneaks in My Bedroom Window by Kirsty Moseley
- The Rise of Nine by Pittacus Lore
- The Fall of Five by Pittacus Lore
- The Prince by Kiera Cass
- Single by Saturday by Catherine Bybee
- Mint Juleps & Justice by Nancy Naigle
- Wait for You by J. Lynn
- Innocence by Dean Koontz
- The Supreme Macaroni Company by Adriana Trigiani
- The Antelope in the Living Room by Melanie Shankle
- A Not So Model Home by David James
- Angelfall by Susan Ee
- The Last Original Wife by Dorothea Benton Frank
- World After by Susan Ee
- Unravel Me by Taherah Mafi
- Going Vintage by Lindsey Leavitt
- The Princess Diaries by Meg Cabot
- The Divorce Papers by Susan Rieger
- Three Wishes by Liane Moriarty
- The Hypnotist’s Love Story by Liane Moriarty
- The Last Anniversary by Liane Moriarty
- The Matchmaker by Erin Hilderbrand
- Shades of the Earth by Beth Revis
- Son by Lois Lowry
- Messenger by Lois Lowry
- A Million Suns by Beth Revis
- Number the Stars by Lois Lowry
- This is Where I Leave You by Jonathan Tropper
- The Dead & The Gone by Susan Beth Pfeffer
- Me Before You by Jojo Moyes
- Big Little Lies by Liane Moriarty
- The Shoemaker’s Wife by Adriana Trigiani
- The World We Live In by Susan Beth Pfeffer
- One Plus One by Jojo Moyes
- Landline by Rainbow Rowell
- The Husband’s Secret by Liane Moriarty
- The One by Kiera Cass
- The Storied Life of A. J. Firkey by Gabrielle Zevin
- The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
- Isolation by Dan Wells
- The Paper Magician by Charlie N. Holmberg
- The Peach Keeper by Sarah Addison Allen
- Dead Ever After by Charlaine Harris
- The Ladies Room by Carolyn Brown
- Not That Kind of Girl by Lena Dunham
- People I Want to Punch in The Throat by Jen Mann
- The Girl Who Chased the Moon by Sarah Addison Allen
- 2011: 16,801 pages
- 2012: 25,706 pages
- 2013: 20,638 pages
- 2014: 23,971 pages
If you need a a less-intense list of book recommendations, I would suggest: The Selection series by Kiera Cass, anything by Rainbow Rowell but especially Attachments, anything by Liane Moriarty but especially What Alice Forgot, The Peach Keeper by Sarah Addison Allen (will be reading more of her in 2015!), Across the Universe series by Beth Revis, The Legend series by Marie Lu, Innocence by Dean Koontz (out of my normal genre but excellent), and The Giver quartet by Lois Lowry. All excellent and well worth the read!
If you have a list of book suggestions or a year-in-review post - I would love to read it! Leave me a comment and I'll be exploring it!!