Sunday, December 28, 2014

The Classy Bookshelf: 2014 in Review

2014 was a pretty good year in books, I'm not going to lie.  I felt like I read some really excellent books, some really overly hyped books (looking at you, The Goldfinch)... it was just a solid year.

Let's look back, shall we?

In 2010, I read 65 books and didn't document them particularly well on the blog.
In 2011 (the year I met Mr. RH and fell head over heels), I read only 39 books!
In 2012, I got engaged and read 78 books! Those were the days.
In 2013, I read 63 books.  Not my best work!

And this past year, 2014, I read.... 71 books, out of my goal of 73 books.  In my defense, I was positive I nailed 73 books with a few days to go, so I got lazy.

Come to find out, as I'm reviewing my list on Goodreads - I had TWO books listed twice.  FAIL FAIL FAIL.  Stinking goodreads... isn't there a way to make sure I don't do that?!  Ugh, broke my damn heart.

I set my goal at 75 for 2015... I'm really not sure about that AT ALL.  I think 73 was hard (and come to find it was only 71!!)... so who knows.  In retrospect... I do not like to fail at anything... but oh well.  I guess I'm going to have to carve out some reading time!

I'm using the following color-coding system for my recommendations: 

MUST READS (Bold and green!)
Excellent Reads (Blue!)
Hated the Plot Reads (Red)
And the ones in black...meh.  Clearly they didn't make an impact.


  1. A Vintage Affair by Isabel Wolff
  2. Out of Sight, Out of Time by Ally Carter
  3. Legend by Marie Lu
  4. The Fault in Our Stars by John Green
  5. Where’d You Go, Bernadette? by Maria Semple
  6. What Alice Forgot by Liane Moriarty
  7. Liesl & Po by Lauren Oliver
  8. Life As We Knew It by Susan Beth Pfeffer
  9. Partials by Dan Wells
  10. Perfect Timing by Jill Mansell
  11. The Selection by Kiera Cass
  12. Easy by Tammara Webber
  13. Deadlocked by Charlaine Harris
  14. Someday Someday Maybe by Lauren Graham
  15. The Edge of Never by J.A. Redmerski
  16. The Elite by Kiera Cass
  17. Attachments by Rainbow Rowell
  18. Someone Else’s Love Story by Joshilyn Jackson
  19. The Bride Wore Size 12 by Meg Cabot
  20. Prodigy by Marie Lu
  21. Champion by Marie Lu
  22. The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt
  23. Waiting for You by Shey Stahl
  24. The Wager by Rachel van Dyken
  25. The Boy Who Sneaks in My Bedroom Window by Kirsty Moseley
  26. The Rise of Nine by Pittacus Lore
  27. The Fall of Five by Pittacus Lore
  28. The Prince by Kiera Cass
  29. Single by Saturday by Catherine Bybee
  30. Mint Juleps & Justice by Nancy Naigle
  31. Wait for You by J. Lynn
  32. Innocence by Dean Koontz
  33. The Supreme Macaroni Company by Adriana Trigiani
  34. The Antelope in the Living Room by Melanie Shankle
  35. A Not So Model Home by David James
  36. Angelfall by Susan Ee
  37. The Last Original Wife by Dorothea Benton Frank
  38. World After by Susan Ee
  39. Unravel Me by Taherah Mafi
  40. Going Vintage by Lindsey Leavitt
  41. The Princess Diaries by Meg Cabot
  42. The Divorce Papers by Susan Rieger
  43. Three Wishes by Liane Moriarty
  44. The Hypnotist’s Love Story by Liane Moriarty
  45. The Last Anniversary by Liane Moriarty
  46. The Matchmaker by Erin Hilderbrand
  47. Shades of the Earth by Beth Revis
  48. Son by Lois Lowry
  49. Messenger by Lois Lowry
  50. A Million Suns by Beth Revis
  51. Number the Stars by Lois Lowry
  52. This is Where I Leave You by Jonathan Tropper
  53. The Dead & The Gone by Susan Beth Pfeffer
  54. Me Before You by Jojo Moyes
  55. Big Little Lies by Liane Moriarty
  56. The Shoemaker’s Wife by Adriana Trigiani
  57. The World We Live In by Susan Beth Pfeffer
  58. One Plus One by Jojo Moyes
  59. Landline by Rainbow Rowell
  60. The Husband’s Secret by Liane Moriarty
  61. The One by Kiera Cass
  62. The Storied Life of A. J. Firkey by Gabrielle Zevin
  63. The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
  64. Isolation by Dan Wells
  65. The Paper Magician by Charlie N. Holmberg
  66. The Peach Keeper by Sarah Addison Allen
  67. Dead Ever After by Charlaine Harris
  68. The Ladies Room by Carolyn Brown
  69. Not That Kind of Girl by Lena Dunham
  70. People I Want to Punch in The Throat by Jen Mann
  71. The Girl Who Chased the Moon by Sarah Addison Allen
By the numbers:
  • 2011:  16,801 pages
  • 2012:  25,706 pages
  • 2013:  20,638 pages
  • 2014:  23,971 pages
A 16% increase in one year... not too shabby!  I don't have such high aspirations for this year... maybe just break even?

If you need a a less-intense list of book recommendations, I would suggest:  The Selection series by Kiera Cass, anything by Rainbow Rowell but especially Attachments, anything by Liane Moriarty but especially What Alice Forgot, The Peach Keeper by Sarah Addison Allen (will be reading more of her in 2015!), Across the Universe series by Beth Revis, The Legend series by Marie Lu, Innocence by Dean Koontz (out of my normal genre but excellent), and The Giver quartet by Lois Lowry.  All excellent and well worth the read!

If you have a list of book suggestions or a year-in-review post - I would love to read it!  Leave me a comment and I'll be exploring it!!

Happy Reading!!


6 Classy Comments:

Casey @Waffling said...

Oooh the Book Thief was excellent! It is also a movie (available on Canadian Netflix).

Leigh said...

I sucked at reading many books this year which is not like me at all! I guess getting pregnant and being tired all the time does that to you. I wasn't a huge fan of The Husband's Secret either. Have you read The Orphan Train?

Meg @ write meg! said...

You had an excellent reading year! I only read 49 (!) books in 2014, which was a record low for me. I'm hoping to do better this year, even with a little one on the way. I have a hunch I'll get particularly good at the holding-a-newborn-AND-a-Kindle maneuver in no time!

R said...

The Geniveve Leonard series by Estelle Ryan was great. It's a 5 book series.

Anonymous said...

How do you ever find time to read so many books? I'm retired, and I've always got a book I'm reading, but I doubt if I read 30 books a year. Well, I only read about an hour and a half a day. That might have something to do with it. I liked The Orphan Train, The Kitchen House, Broad Street (older book), and I'm currently reading The Invention of Wings and am enjoying it. I also enjoyed The Book Thief. Hmmm. Somewhat of a pattern going on here. These all take place many years ago.

Heather said...

What fun! I love looking over your list. My favorites from 2014 were Euphoria (Lily King), All the Light We Cannot See (Anthony Doerr), and Life Drawing (Robin Black).

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by Sweet Simplicity