Monday, January 6, 2014

2014: In With a Roar

Well folks, 2014 is already off to a bang.  Unless you're living under a rock, you're well-aware that the Midwest (and East coast) got hammered with a major snowstorm yesterday, followed by record-breaking cold temps.

I'm sitting here before 8 am and the temperature outside is -11 degrees.  Thankfully, I haven't been outside and Mr. RH and I's workplaces are both closed today!

Unfortunately, Mr. RH had to go into work yesterday for about 4-5 hours (because his bosses have questionable decision-making skills), and we got around 6 inches of snow during that time.  His car got stuck multiple time in the parking lot, but I was SO thrilled when he finally made it home safe to me.

We are under a code-red (level red?) travel emergency until at least noon today, so it's actually illegal to be out on the roads unless you are essential government personnel.

Fortunately, neither Mr. RH nor I are essential to anything, so we get a whole day trapped at home!

He vetoed my idea of a Blizzard Baby, and luckily our power has only flickered twice in the past 12 hours - so we are enjoying a lazy day of movies, cleaning the apartment (I use that term loosely), and baking anything I can get my hands on.

I've been binge-watching DIY network (I have the strong urge to demolition a bathroom!) and eating like it's my job.

Rumor has it we got about 11.5 inches of snow ... but you would never be able to tell if you saw some of the drifts around town.  Apparently the major highway has a 4 foot deep drift across it.  #crazytown

I wanted to provide you a visual from the snow in our neck of the woods... but of course it's a little difficult to snap a pic out the window when there's a sheet of ice completely covering the window.  I wonder if the people who built this apartment complex saved money with cheap windows?  


 An hour or so later, I defrosted with a space heater and saw this drift on a neighboring apartment's balcony.  When I first saw it, the drift was even higher.  As is, it's probably a solid 4 feet high.


 Times like today make me wish I was still at my dad's house so I could at least run into our yard and explore for ten minutes until the frostbite risk became too great.

Not sure I want to brave FORTY BELOW windchills to go check out our parking lot.

Hope you're all warm and cozy and, most importantly, NOT at work today. 

4 Classy Comments:

K said...

The snow I could do, the temperatures are a whole different story. Hope you guys had fun getting snowed in. My husband plows, so the only one I get to share snow days with is the dog!

Meg @ write meg! said...

Since the newspaper never closes (like, never), I don't enjoy any adult snow days... so consider me jealous! The temperatures are just starting to drop in Maryland, but nothing like that. Everyone is all abuzz that tomorrow's high will only be 15, though, which is quite unusual here -- so I can only imagine how much the town will be freaking out! Stay warm!

Mindy said...

It's times like this that I am especially thankful that we work from home! I hate for anyone to have to get out in this!!
I laughed at the "blizzard baby" comment and then proposed the idea to my husband...hahah. He wasn't down with it either.

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

It sounds like you guys experienced the major cold! Ek!

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by Sweet Simplicity