Monday, May 20, 2013

Silly Wedding Jitters

Today's Blog Every Day in May prompt is to "share something you're struggling with right now."  And surprisingly, my "struggle" is exceedingly superficial today.

There are some underlying real dramas - missing my mom while wedding planning, worrying about family stuff in the absence of my mom, blah blah.

But that's really not what's on my mind today.

I've been slaving away (not really) for a few months now on this wedding business.  The dress, the cake, shoes, STDs, doing "bride arms" workouts, and on and on and on.

Lately, though, I think nerves are getting the best of me.

What if the party itself isn't fun?

I know that the ceremony... will be a Catholic ceremony.  Not very fun, personal, or exciting.  Meaningful, yes.  Fun, no.

But the reception.... that's a huge question mark.

My college friends are down for a good wedding reception - but there will be quite a few new babies in attendance who could be ticking time bombs.  Ditto with my SIL's and their babies.

I'm pretty sure my extended family is pretty game for a good party - if I remember correctly, family left the informal "wake after the wake" of my mom's funeral for more booze.  So I think they know what to do, although I'm not so sure about dancing.

My work girls love booze and dancing (esp to Spice Girls, note to DJ), so they shouldn't be a problem.

I'm not so sure about Mr. RH's family or friends.  I haven't attended any weddings with "his" people, so I can't really say how they'll react to a loud, slightly-boozy (gulp) party.

I feel confident that I've only invited people who love us and who support Mr. RH and I.  I don't feel like I've invited "reacher" friends that I feel like I need to impress.

So why in the heck am I worrying about something so petty?

Did anyone else have these worries before their wedding?

4 Classy Comments:

Sarah Alway said...

I totally had these same concerns... don't worry, as long as there is alcohol, it will turn into a super fun party, guaranteed! :-)

(Saw your name over at Jenni's blog and just had to stop by and say hi)

Sarah @ Life As Always

Whitney said...

I think if you didn't have some sort of jitters you would be jinxing the whole thing. Having jitters is normal and those rose-colored brides who never vocalize anything ever going wrong are just not my style. :)

whitney
www.whittheheck.blogspot.com

Deals, Steals and Heels said...

TRUST ME, parties have a way of working themselves out...just enjoy yourself, and others will follow!

plus, cake is ALWAYS a major party motivator =)

Meg @ write meg! said...

I can definitely appreciate where you're coming from, though I know your day is going to be fabulous! You will be so happy and in love and ecstatic, you won't pay attention to whether or not everyone is dancing. You and Mr. RH will be dancing, as will your friends, and everything will be fabulous.

Without an open bar, I briefly worried that things wouldn't be "interesting" at ours... but with 200-ish people and both of our loud, boisterous families, I know it's going to be a good time. And we'll be married!! How could it not be fun? :)

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by Sweet Simplicity