Monday, December 14, 2009

Wah-BAM!

Hey everybody,

I'm not sure if you've heard the news yet or not, but Christmas is here. Aand there are only 17 days 'till New Years.

That's not a lot of time and I am most certainly feeling the crunch!

So in lieu of accomplishing the things I needed to do this weekend, I made cookies.

The most delicious cookies ever, in fact. Ok, so I've posted about these cookies before but not until recently did I notice that I left out a key ingredient. The sugar.

So, let's pretend that never happened and just focus on the now, shall we?

Oatmeal Cookies

  • 1 Cup Butter, Softened
  • 1 Cup Shortening
  • 4 Cups Light Brown Sugar, Packed
  • 4 Eggs
  • 4 Cups Flour
  • 4 tsp Baking Soda
  • 4 Cups Quick Oatmeal
  • 4 tsp Cinnamon
  • 2 tsp Vanilla Extract
  1. Cream together butter, shortening, and light brown sugar.
  2. Beat eggs into the mixture.
  3. Sift together the flour and baking soda, then add oatmeal to the flour mix.
  4. Add the flour mix slowly to the sugar and egg mixture.
  5. Stir in vanilla and cinnamon.
  6. Wrap the dough and chill for 1 hour.
  7. Pinch off the dough and roll into very small balls (maybe 1/2 a Tbsp). Place balls on lightly greased cookie sheets (I used crisco to grease) about 2 inches apart. Bake at 350 degrees for 7-9 minutes. Cool completely before adding the filling.

Here's the directions for the filling... it's actually kinda complicated, but SO worth it.
  • 1/3 Cup Flour
  • 1 Cup Milk
  • 1 Cup Soft Butter
  • 2 to 2.5 Cups Powdered Sugar
  • 1 tsp Vanilla
  • Dash of Salt
  1. In a small saucepan, combine the flour and milk with a whisk. Turn on the heat to medium, and stir constantly. DO NOT WALK AWAY - burnt flour and milk is gross. Just keep stirring with that whisk over medium heat. Eventually it will start to thicken - keep stirring. I usually "thicken" until my arm starts to hurt and then give up.
  2. Cool that mixture - and make sure you don't burn the paste with the hot pan - I usually cool mine in the sink in some cold water.
  3. In another bowl, cream the butter, powdered sugar, vanilla, and salt until light and fluffy.
  4. Gradually add in the flour/milk mix a small amount at a time until it's all smooth.
  5. Frost the cookies and enjoy. Store in the fridge for best consistency.

*This recipe makes about 100 cookie sandwiches – you may want to cut it in half.*
*Make sure to use butter where stated - not margarine.*

I usually hate cookies that have that extra, added step - but in this case, it was TOTALLY worth it.

As I stated last week, I am REALLY interested to hear all of your holiday baking traditions - please spill the beans!! I want your recipes!! So feel free to share!

And if you are of the flat, limp hair society like I am, you may be interested to read about my "new" hairstyling solution over at Chic Critique.

As for me, I'm off trying to finish my holiday shopping today. I'm sure that'll go over well. Or not.

post signature

12 Classy Comments:

Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Sarah said...

Ooh, those look yummy! I'll definitely have to try them out (and yes, I'll make the full batch...and eat most of them myself, too!)

Cheerful Homemaker said...

**Ooh.. nice spam comment up at the top**

I remember finding this recipe on your blog and wondering WHERE THE HECK THE SUGAR WAS!!! I found a yummy recipe for it. :)

I'm not ready for Christmas! I'm not done shopping!!!

BonBon Rose Girls Kristin said...

Yum yum yum. These are getting added to the to bake list. Thank you!!

Unknown said...

How the heck did comment number one find it's way in this delicious cookie recipe post?!

Sole Matters said...

i know you want to mail me 10 of these! lol

Andhari said...

Oh wooow oatmeal cookies are my favorites, love them so much better than chocolate chips!

Kelsey @ Seattle Smith's said...

OMG Yummm -- these cookies are the best!!

FashionAddict said...

OMGooodness, those look yummy. Thanks for sharing. And your earrings that you won on my blog should be arriving shortly :)

Katelyn said...

Those look so yummy! You are totally inspiring me to bake. "Dear Kichen Aid Mixer- get ready, because we are about to have a date!"

Hope your Christmas shopping was successful!

allison said...

Those look so good! I love oatmeal cookies too. I am definitely on a diet this Christmas season although it never seems to keep me from eating treats.

Shannon River said...

Thanks for posting this! I looooove to bake and I'm fixin', that's right fixin', to have a major bake-a-thon this weekend.

Also my hair is blonde, thin and flat so I loooove it when you post hints and tips about it. I try everything that you suggest. Can't wait to try this new one.

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by Sweet Simplicity