Thursday, April 19, 2012

You Win Some, You Lose Some (Shopping)

A couple of weeks ago, NY&Co had a 50% off promotion on their website... and on my way out the door, I thought, you know, they have some cute maxi dresses that I totally need.  And thus I was off to the races in a bad way.

I spent way too much money, but fortunately, or unfortunately, the maxis were a big fat bust.  None of them fit whatsoever. 


The one on the left probably fit the best, but it was the shortest.  I was most excited for the red one, but it was strangely small.  And the one on the right was so jacked up.... I have no comment.

Fortunately, I didn't just order the maxi dresses.  I also snapped up this chevron maxi skirt.  Now, on twitter, I got several comments saying it was granny-ish and blah and whatever...

 But dude, I am so into it!  It's like sweatpants but the hot, summer version.  I sized up in this skirt (which I also needed in a couple of the dresses) but of course it's just almost too big.  I actually rolled down the waistband once and it helped to fit more perfectly.  I want to try on the small but we both know it will be ungodly tight, right?

Last but not least... I was really, truly obsessed with the poppy red print.  And was nervous the dress wouldn't fit (shopper's intuition!).  So I grabbed this top.  Does the arm slit make me look like a NJ/OC housewife?  Cause that is my fear.
 Plus the top is shapeless on me... but, but... with black skinnies and hot wedges?  Yes?

Next up... I had a Forever21 moment.  It just needed to happen.  They had these red skinny ponte pants and I couldn't find red skinny jeans ANYWHERE.  So it had to happen.

Unfortunately... you may be blinded by these next pictures.  It's just.... a whole lot of junk in my trunk.  And not in a particularly flattering way.  But I'd be remiss if I didn't show you.


Hideous?  Did I just make you realize where my daily carb intake is being stored?

I can't decide. I felt like hot stuff in them... and then the pictures are... intense.  Notice the 2 striped jackets I bought.  I like the one of the left more, but it has a TON of very sharp metal zippers.  Which will probably cause me all kinds of trouble.  But I want!  It zips off-centered and is all moto-style.  Very unlike me, but I like.

Next up... the whole reason I placed the order: the Sweetheart Red Dress

I love sweetheart dresses... and I hate strapless dresses.  I love red, I look terrible in it.  Needless to say, I had to try this dress.  The detailing is really pretty and it looks more expensive than $28.


It fits me pretty well and is surprisingly secure for a $20 strapless dress.  I ran all around the house in it with no problems.  I was still a little iffy... and then I added a F21 belt I've never worn.



Signed, sealed, delivered, I'm yours.

Goodness knows I'd never wear a strapless dress just... naked.  I'd wear it with a jacket and 22 other layers, which will totally ruin the effect.  But... it's really pretty.

And then there's the Striped Knit Dress.  I love the colors, love the pockets (which were a welcome, surprise bonus feature).

 Hate that it's kinda too short on me, but I'll wear it with leggings for now and as a swim coverup this summer. 

 And just to show I haven't lost my touch of ordering things that are wrong all wrong... the skinny ponte pants in blue (and a size too small)... and this dress that I wanted to be a cover up.  Nope and nope.  Although looking at those pants makes me want to order the bigger size.  Even though they show every individual cellulite patch.

 

So, help me out..

Yes or no on the poppy top with the arm slits?  Sexy?  Wrong on so many levels?

Red skinnies?  Would you point and laugh if you saw me at the mall?  Do I look like the lady who I caught wearing leggings as too-small-pants?

Comments from the peanut gallery?

Where are YOU shopping lately?  I dunno what it is about spring, but suddenly I need need need EVERYTHING.

Happy Thursday!

21 Classy Comments:

Unknown said...

That chevron skirt is amazing I don't know where people are getting "grannyish" from.

I'm not a huge fan of arm slits so I would go with a no (but that's just me!)

I love the red skinnies, girl you've got BACK - in a good way!

I've been shopping at Zara and Nordstrom but need to go on a tiny spending freeze for a bit - for a few weeks.

EC said...

Keep the red poppy arm slit shirt. I love the print!

No to the red skinnies. I'm not a colored pant fan. It's too much focus on the bootay. The pants take away from the cuteness of the jackets.

Love, love the red strapless dress. And the belt! You are stylin!!!

I'm been shopping at Francesca's and Target. Always Target.

Annie said...

I love the red skinnies on you! You totally rock them!

the girl in the red shoes said...

First of all, I think you look cute in all of these pics! If I were you I would keep the red top and order the blue skinnies one size up. If you got the red skinnies one size up would you feel more comfortable? I think if you love them in person than you should keep them! And I think the chevron skirt is adorable!

southernbellejm said...

Colored pants/jeans are a no for me. I feel like they bring attention to my bottom half which is J-LOlicioius and doesn't need "any" more attention.

NY&Co. has been a miss for me as well this season. However, I'm totally going to have to try the chevron skirt. That would be great for school! Although, I bet it will be too long on me.

Karen said...

Chevron skirt is amazeballs! Love it. Not a fan of the red poppy arm slit. Def a little Housewives of Jersey for me (and I'm a housewife of Jersey LOL)

I think the colored pants look is hard to pull off, but you definitely rocked it. The red ones looked amazing.

Beth's Blog said...

I love the chevron skirt!!!!

I love the print on the shirt. I would keep it even with the slits.

I like the red skinnies.

I don't like ordering anything off line lately. I have had so much bad luck. You can wear three or four different sizes depending on how the clothes are made. You never know what size to order.

Beth's Blog said...

I love the chevron skirt!!!!

I love the print on the shirt. I would keep it even with the slits.

I like the red skinnies.

I don't like ordering anything off line lately. I have had so much bad luck. You can wear three or four different sizes depending on how the clothes are made. You never know what size to order.

Anonymous said...

No to the shirt . . . it's almost too busy/loud with all the print. And no to the pants. It's not so much the fit, but they look kind of cheap (no offense).

chevron skirt is cute though :)

Heather said...

You hvae such a cute figure - seriously! I think the red skinnies might work with a long top? I think that red dress is absolutely beautiful on you!

Heather said...

Ooops, sorry I misspelled "have"!

Tess said...

you seriously crack me up. The line about the slits in the shirt reminding you of RHOC is totally spot on. BUT, I promise you don't look like that - it seems subtle and pre..pretty..and shoulders are sexy so I say go with it!

Samantha said...

The poppy shirt is my absolute favorite!!

Brittany said...

I love, love, love, love, love the chevron skirt! The combo with the top you've got on makes it super slimming!

I don't think I'm a fan of the red skinnies, unfortunately. I do think I like the color better than the blue, though. (Full disclosure: I'm not a big fan of the white skinnies I picked up at Target--they stretch out and fit funny and I wish I hadn't bought them!)

The poppy top--I'm probably a no on this, but I have to admit that while I love a good floral print, when I think about my collection of tops I realize I don't own any with a print so bold as this one. So maybe it's just not my thing!

I love any and every thing navy blue and white striped, but from the picture I think I like the one on the left best, too, primarily because of the length. But then I don't know about the zipper situation!

And dang girl that red dress with belt is beautiful on you! You've got to wear it strapless, you have really nice shoulders and the sweetheart neckline is so flattering!

Anonymous said...

What if you take the poppy top to a seamstress and have the slits sewn shut? No on both the red and blue pants, unless you go up a size. Love the stripped jackets. I'm a Nordstrom Rack girl myself.

Jac said...

Yes to the poppy shirt and the chevron skirt.
I like the striped dress.
No to the red jeans.
Maybe one size up in the blue skinnies.

Jessie Jones said...

I love the chevron skirt! I am about to order some stuff from Gap and Old Navy I think! :-) Ready for some shopping!

Sistergirl said...

You can't go wrong with a dress. I love the black and white one, the shirt is cute with the jacket. The booty red pants arent bad, I dontthink that shirt goes well with it. I love the blue long dress and the red dress could work too. Get a pair of trendy shoes and it will also change the way they look.

Cheerful Homemaker said...

I liked the poppy shirt until I saw the slits. I'm just not in to buying clothes that are already ripped up. The print is adorable, though.

I like the idea of the red pants but they aren't especially flattering.

Ashley Turner said...

Love the chevron maxi skirt! xx

Despoina said...

love the chevron skiiirttt!!!!!They are so many combos to go with it....

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by Sweet Simplicity