Tuesday, October 11, 2011

The Classy Bookshelf

I'm gonna just go out and admit it:  falling in love is pretty bad for one's Goodreads book count for the year.  Bad for reading overall.  I'm still keeping up with blogs (although I've hit "mark all as read" by accident TWICE in the past week) and I feel like I can comment decently enough.... but as for sitting down with a good book and reading the hours away?  I don't do it anymore.

And Goodreads is very friendly in letting me know I'm behind.

But the thing about books is... they'll still be there even if I ignore them cause I'm too busy falling in love.  I hope they'll forgive me.

The weird thing is... Mr. RH loves to read.  Love loves.  He's a book person.  But since we don't live together (not that I'm saying that's a good idea), I'm not just gonna pull a book out of my purse and start reading it while we're hanging out.  Or maybe I should?  

I still read before I go to bed at night, but lately I've been out much past my bedtime *cough* Mr. RH's fault *cough* so I am in bed for 5 minutes before my eyes are drooping. 

So, what have I been reading?  First and most recently, Hush, Hush and Crescendo by Becca Fitzpatrick.  This is a 3-part series (and the last book isn't coming out for a while!) and I was totally hooked.  Stayed up past midnight because I couldn't put them down.


Before that, I was reading I Love Everybody and There's a (Slight) Chance I Might be Going to Hell by Laurie Notaro.  Both decent reads but not the most compelling page-turners.

On Mr. RH's un-recommendation I read Heart of the Matter by Emily Giffin.  I know that everyone read this book a year or so ago when it came out, but I just hadn't got around to it. 

I was intrigued by this story and really enjoyed the characters, as per norm for an Emily Giffin book.  Mr. RH hates this book because the end of the book is kinda sad.  I'm slightly inclined to agree but I think I tend to be more forgiving than he is... so I didn't hate it.  I read this one quickly, I was quite intrigued by the plot.


I'm pretty sure Miss Pink Sass made me read Matched by Ally Condie.  Love love love!  Blew through the pages in a couple days.  Can't wait for the sequel!   Also can't wait for Mr. RH to read it because I know he will love it and then I can tell him to shove it for making fun of my teenager book picks.


And last but not least, an oldie I picked up at Half-Price Books:  Mennonite in a Little Black Dress by Rhoda Janzen.  This book is actually a memoir of the author's experience of surviving a terrible car wreck, her husband leaving her for a man from gay.com, and moving back home with her traditional, Mennonite parents.  It was funny and truthful at the same time... hence why I enjoyed it.


I had been working through a huge pile of Hawaii vacation books but I've just realized that I have nothing exciting to read in my pile.  Nothing at all in my pile, actually!

Soo..... what are you reading lately?

8 Classy Comments:

Cheerful Homemaker said...

There's nothing in my current reading pile (SAD FACE!!!). I just finished reading The Five Love Languages yesterday. I am out of books and Borders closed.

Last December I decided I wanted to read 75 books in 2011. Then I got pregnant and went to bed at 6:30PM for two months. I think I'm sitting at 42 books right now, which isn't bad, but it's not 75. I don't think I'll make it.

Heather said...

These look interesting. I enjoyed Heart of the Matter too. Last night I finished Reckless, which is a thriller/mystery. It definitely kept my interest.

Meg @ write meg! said...

Ha! We're reading twins. I just finished listening to Heart of the Matter on audio (and my review is up today!), which was sad and strange and thought-provoking, all at once. And I picked up Mennonite In A Little Black Dress at a sale over the weekend!

When my boyfriend and I first started dating, I noticed that my reading took a major hit, too. Like you mentioned, I often feel like it's rude to pull out a book and start reading when we're hanging out together. Reading is such a solitary activity, and somehow I feel like I'm excluding him... but at least Mr. RH likes to read! Spence does not, so it's definitely something I do alone.

Maybe you and Mr. RH could block out a time to just sit and read together? That sounds soooo nice and cozy to me! And with a glass of wine or a cup of cocoa? Heaven...

melissa said...

I'm reading NOTHING. I have fallen off the book bandwagon. I'm sure once I get the hang of this baby business I'll pick up a book again but for now I'm busy juggling baby and a full DVR. (Keepin it real.)

How fun that Mr. RH is a reader. My husband doesn't love to read but I often wish he did so we could discuss books. He did read the Hunger Games trilogy and loved it, so it was fun to discuss that. We'll see what I can convince him to read next.

Have you read Divergent? I really liked that one.

Kate said...

Wow, 35 books and you feel bad?! You are doing great! I made the goal of 12 books this year and I've read 4. FOUR! I did get married this year but still, this is an all time low, by a lot. I don't think I've ever read 35 books in a year! You are inspiring me : )

Jessi LaRue (Jessi Haish) said...

how exciting! good job!

Brittany said...

I'm way behind on my goal on goodreads, too. And it makes me anxious when they point it out!! :) I'm on book 54 of 75, so I'm 6 books behind...not really seeing how to fit the rest of my goal into the last few months of the year. Oh, well!! :)

I have to recommend Divergent, if you haven't read it yet. If you loved the Hunger Games, you'll LOVE this one! It's book 1 in a trilogy, but the last 2 aren't out, yet. And, if you like Nicholas Sparks, he had a new one come out last week. :)

Enjoy! :)

Obianke said...

I like every bit of your blog. I am a fresh blogger. How can I be like you?

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by Sweet Simplicity