Thursday, May 19, 2011

PB Smackdown

I was on this crazy diet for a few weeks. No, I wasn't trying to morph myself into a supermodel but I was on a mission to cut out the sugar.

Now that I've loosened my obsession a bit, I've got a new favorite snack.

Rice cake with peanut butter.

I know, if you are the former me you are wrinkling your nose.... but I'm telling you - it's heaven on a cracker when you've been eating lettuce all day.

Anyways, I was at my BFF Meijer (that's a grocery store for you non-midwest types) when I stumbled onto a connundrum.


On the left, we have "Simply Jif" which is a reduced-sugar version of the always delicious Regular Creamy Jif.

Side Note: If you are a Skippy fan I can't even talk to you right now. It's like I don't even know you.

So, in my eagerness to be the lowest-sugar version of myself (it's ok, you can laugh. I know I regularly eat cake for breakfast. Ha freaking ha.) I decided to try Simply Jif.

And so I tried it. Lemmie just say.... Dear Jif, whyyyy did you try and mess with perfection? No bueno.

And the kicker? You save 1 gram of sugar by switching to the low-sugar version. ONE GRAM.

Just say NO to Simply Jif.

And, while we're at it.... do you have a favorite peanut butter brand? Or are y'all on Team Jif with me?? And - crunchy or smooth?

Talk peanut butter to me, please.

And don't forget to skip the Simply Jif.

24 Classy Comments:

Alyssa said...

Jif all the way, mostly smooth- I have to be in the mood for chunky peanut butter!

Cheerful Homemaker said...

Not a huge fan of PB unless it's a PB & honey sandwich paired w/ a bowl of chili. I used to love the Peter Pan Honey peanut butter, but I can't find it. :(

Krystal said...

JIF!!!! Creamy!! I'm glad you told me about simply Jif, I probably would have tried it and been just as disappointed!!

Brittany said...

JIF is my favorite...nothing beats the original! :)

PinkSass said...

Girl you need to start using organic pb with no added sugar at all! You know the kind with the oil on top that you have to stir. Seriously it's the best!

Bren said...

justin's honey almond butter is so insanely good! try it!

Confessions Of A Domestic Goddess said...

I'm a Jif girl, but I don't like the way simply jif tastes at all! It tastes like it's missing an ingredient.

The Shabby Princess said...

Ohhh Jif all the way! And I'm with Pink Sass, the all natural kind is so good--they even have Jif natural! Yes, you do have to get used to the taste a little bit, but, it's very yumtastic.

THE Stephanie said...

Jif creamy all the way! I eat whole wheat pb toast every morning for breakfast, with a chocolate protein shake. It's like I'm faking myself out - no, it's not a peanut butter cup, but it sure tastes like one! :)

Q said...

I'm trying to remember if I've ever seen JIF on the shelves of my grocery store. There's Kraft, Skippy, No Name, and I'm not sure what else.

Unknown said...

I am defensive of my PB as well. I feel you. I'm a Peter Pan Crunchy, but a Jif smooth kinda gal. And when in detox, but still need my fix, I get straight up almond butter from an extruder at Whole Foods. None of that jarred crap.

d.a.r. said...

Jif smooth, all the way!!

Skippy is just horrible!

Natalie and Lee said...

Jif is my favorite too... When I am dieting (which I need to get back into ASAP;) I do the rice cakes and pb too, they are fabulous when you are starving to death!

Enjoying your blog!

R said...

Lady, natural peanut butter is farrrr superior to Jif, Skippy, and all those other sugar-laden brands. It doesn't matter if you get the organic kind or not; once you taste it and realize it tastes like ACTUAL PEANUTS, you can never go back. It is delicious, and so much better for you!

Anonymous said...

Many, many years ago, before you born, Jiff came out with their peanut butter, and I can't even tell you how good it was. Then they went and "improved" it, but it has never been as good as the original. It is still my favorite, the creamy type, but how I wish it tasted the way it used to.

allison said...

Ha, I'd probably like it because I'm not a picky peanut butter eater.

MojoMissy said...

Severe peanut allergy here! I'm twitching just READING this post!

Anonymous said...

Peter Pan.

Nothing Else.

Peter Pan.

katie lake said...

I am a Crunchy girl! Usually whatever is inexpensive. I will not do organic though. It is all runny and gritty. Yuck!

Sarah said...

I love JIF however I have been trying Better N Peanut Butter. Amazing! I love it. It reminds me of marshmallow fluff but with Peanut Butter.

Kids, Canines, and Chaos said...

First of all, I super duper pink puffy heart LOVE Meijer. I am from Michigan and moved to Maryland. Every time I go home, I must make time for a trip (or two!) to Meijer. I love it even more than (gasp!) Target.

And, #2? I'm totally a Jif lover. I LOVE that they do the Jif to go containers. I pair that with an apple and it's to.die.for. Breakfast of champions.

Miss Tokyo Flash said...

Im sorry, but compared to 100% peanut, peanut butter, Jif has NOTHING! The only peanut butter should be the kind you have to mix before u use it each time because the oil seperates to the top as it has no emulcifiers or any other nastys... Yummeh!!!

Anonymous said...

Teddy All Natural is my favorite. Once you go to the natural PB you can't go back to the sugary stuff. Honest!

Unknown said...

I grew up on Peter Pan creamy PB... but now I prefer something more natural. My grocer has a machine where you can make fresh PB with just nuts. It's so good.

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by Sweet Simplicity