Thursday, October 29, 2009

That's Banana (Bread)

Yesterday, due to a surplus of bananas, I made banana bread. Have I mentioned how much I love baked goods? Cause I do.

And because I love you, I am going to share my super-secret family recipe. Except, I really don't think it's secret at all. It's probably actually very common. But delicious.

Delicious Banana Bread Recipe

1/4 Cup Shortening (Margarine or Butter)
3/4 Cup Sugar
1 Egg
2/3 Cup Mashed Bananas (I just use 2 bananas, no measuring)
2 Cups Flour
1/2 tsp Baking Powder
1/2 tsp Baking Soda
1/4 tsp Salt
3 Tbsp Buttermilk (read on if you don't have buttermilk - I never do)
Up to 1/2 Cup Nuts (I never have any good nuts on hand)

  1. Cream Shortening and Sugar
  2. Blend in egg, then bananas.
  3. Add dry ingredients and milk.
  4. Bake in a greased loaf pan at 350* for about 50 minutes.
So what if you don't have buttermilk?

A good substitute for buttermilk can be made with milk (I use skim but I don't think it matters too much) and either lemon or vinegar. To make a cup of buttermilk, use 1 cup milk and 1 Tbsp of lemon or vinegar. Mix well and let sit for a while. To make enough for this recipe, I use 1/4 cup milk and 1 tsp lemon juice.... and then I have just a bit left over.

I'd take a picture of this lovely banana bread so that this post wouldn't be so wordy... but that would be a lot of work.

Happy Thursday!

post signature

P.S. If you'd like to join me, I'll be posting some awesome vintage halloween pics of myself.... because I had some awesome costumes. Who wants to join me? Not sure if I'll get to them tomorrow or Saturday, but they are going to be awesome.

6 Classy Comments:

BRD said...

I just made banana nut bread this past weekend and it was delicious!

I was contemplating doing a post with some photos of past Halloweens - some of the costumes my mother made me were amazing!

--DC Prep

Annemarie said...

First time at your blog- it is just lovely! I may have to try your recipe for banana bread! I've been baking a lot more lately now that it is cooler out and I think a nice banana bread would be perfect for some holiday gifts! Have a nice day XOXO

Tiffany and the Munchkins said...

This sounds yummy! I am a girl who HATES bananas but LOVES the banana flavor. I think I would like this banana bread, minus the nuts. Not big on nuts in my soft foods. Call me weird.

The Shabby Princess said...

Yum! Thanks for sharing!

Cheerful Homemaker said...

Yummy! My mom was telling me a recipe for banana bread earlier when I talked to her.

CIP said...

Yummmmm!!! I hope it was as delicious as mine turned out to be last week!

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by Sweet Simplicity