Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Feeling Saucy: WFMW

When I saw that this week's Work's for Me Wednesday was about kitchen organization, I just had to throw my weird three-cents in.

You see, I have a spaghetti sauce problem. Within the past month, there were, at one time, FOUR JARS of spaghetti sauce in my fridge. All about half-used.

And, if you're like me, you kinda forget which one went in there first. And then you notice the white stuff starting to grow around the edges (mold?), and then you throw that half-jar of sauce away.

And then, one day I decided enough was enough. And so I got down to business.

So, you'll need the following: an ice cube tray, some nonstick spray, and leftover sauce (or a whole jar, like the only sauce I had at the time I took this). Spray the tray with the nonstick spray and then just dump the jar in. Shake it around a bit to get them to settle down. Freeze them for a few hours (probably takes less than 4 hours). Take them out of the freezer and set them on the counter for 10 minutes or so until they loosen up a bit. Then flip and empty the tray (I empty mine onto a cutting board that needs to get washed). Put them into a Ziplock in the freezer and you'll have sauce any time you need it.
I typically use about 3 cubes if I'm just making pasta for me. Maybe 4 if I'm wanting something really saucy. I usually drain my pasta, throw it back into the original pan, and throw the cubes in with the pasta. They melt in a couple of minutes. If they seem really cold, I just turn the burner on for another couple of minutes. I love doing this because I know that I actually use less sauce. When you're shaking it out of a jar, it's really easy to just wash 'extra' sauce down the drain. This way, I never waste a drop. So I guess I'm being green too, right?


Also, I NEED YOUR HELP!!! You see, my birthday is 13 days from today. I texted my little man this fact and recieved this response: "Would i be a bad boyfriend if I asked you to find something pretty online?". Geez, he sure knows how to make a girl feel special.

But, and this is where you come in, I have NO CLUE what I want. Which is crazy, if you know how much I love stuff. Any suggestions? Shoes? Purses? Jewelry, other than an engagement ring, which does not seem to be forthcoming.

Anyways, Happy Wednesday!

love,


5 Classy Comments:

Marketing Gurl said...

Very good idea. I have two in my fridge right now...great post!

Dawn said...

What a GREAT idea!!!

Anonymous said...

Great tip! Happy almost birthday! Blessings, Whitney

Anonymous said...

Wow, I am head-over-heels for your idea. I'm going out to buy an extra ice cube tray so I can rescue my sauce. Happy birthday!

Anonymous said...

That is a very good idea! I also have the same problem and can't remember what sauce bottle was opened last. I'm SO going to try this next time. (It's just my hubby and me, and we don't go thru a whole monster-bottle of sauce at once.)
As for a present... why not something from Bath & Body Works online. Can't go wrong there!

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by Sweet Simplicity